Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Stashing accoutrement

Good morning everyone.

Yesterday was certainly a fun day, sending goodies off to my friends who are parents-to-be.
Issac enjoyed the experience as well. I was a little worried for a while that he might want to go visit the baby without me.



I did eventually persuade him not to adopt the mailing box as his new home though. I may have to find another box to bring into the house for him. Cats and boxes... what is up with that?

I didn't mention that I did more than just shower gifts on others yesterday (guilty look). For the last few weeks I've been thinking that I need some way to organize my stash (yes, even though I am a beginner I have managed to acquire a small stash). When I was in the french boutique yesterday, I spotted this:



A Sterlite 3 drawer cart (14 1/2" x 12 5/8" x 25 5/8")... just the right size to hold my current stash and fit into my closet (and conveniently, I could buy a second to stack on top if my hoard grows!). I feel more organized already (and oh so much more able to knit!).

As long as I'm being honest, I should admit that I think I am developing quite an addiction. I've been pretty good about not buying extra yarn. That's primarily because I'm much better at buying things for a pattern. I worry too much that if I first buy yarn, and only later find a pattern, I won't have enough yarn to finish (you've noticed before my tendency to buy a bit more than I really think I need, haven't you?). Nevertheless, my accoutrements are expanding.

Case in point, I've decided that I want to experiment with lace. Everyone seems to be doing it. It doesn't sound easy, but what's life without a bit of a challenge? So I picked out the swallowtail shawl (from the fall 2006 issue of Interweave Knits magazine) as my first project. I've been inspired by the swallowtail KAL blog, and especially by KesSa's blog pictures... she is amazing and has set the goal to knit one swallowtail a week!

Sooo... once I had determined I would knit swallowtail, I had to order the magazine to get the pattern. I also realized that I needed the appropriate needles. More research needed here to determine which needles are best for laceweight. Ordered needles. Now we need yarn... ordered yarn.



All good so far, yes? Well after I got the yarn, I realized I've never had a hank of yarn before. What does one do with a hank? Can you knit right from a hank? Perusal of the web indicates that the yarn must be wound into a ball first. Hmm... how does one do such a thing? More research conducted. Turns out most people find turning laceweight into a ball quite a difficult thing (a tangling issue apparently). More research uncovers tools to help with the job. Swifts and ball winders. Sales at JoAnn's. Must have tools. So yes, I've ordered these two tools to add to my toolbox (both at a nice discounted price currently).

It's bad, yes, it's bad. Soon, I'll have too much knitting stuff. Can one have too much knitting stuff? It's a question to ponder.

I hope everyone is enjoying their own stashes today.

No comments: