Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Did you eat fast food yesterday?

Fast food has become an ever-present part of our culture, with a number of negative consequences. Yesterday the University of La Verne brought Eric Schlosser, author of Fast Food Nation, to campus for a lecture.



A very bright guy, very well spoken. Reading the book, I was amazed to learn that both McDonalds and Carl Jr. started right here in my own back yard (in San Bernadino technically). Makes me feel more responsible for the problems somehow.

While I have long recognized some of the big problems associated with corporate America, the book and lecture were great is helping me to consider other things that had never come to my attention before.

Have you read Fast Food Nation? You should. It will change the way you think about food in America. Of course I also think you should read the Omnivore's Dilemma ... another good analysis about corporate American's affect on the food chain. Think about it... where does your food come from, what happened to the earth and the animals to get that food to you, what did the workers who helped prepare that food endure in order for you to eat it? Deep stuff.

On the shallow end, did I mention that I cast on a new scarf yesterday? Laugh. Casting on a new sweater seemed irresponsible, but somehow casting on a scarf seemed just fine. I have a problem.

And want to see something really funny? A cabled bangle bracelet ... get this... $187.00.
Now if that doesn't condemn corporate America, I'm not sure what should. I'm sure the person who knit it earned about 25 cents.

1 comment:

Octopus Knits said...

Good stuff to think about!