Monday, April 02, 2007

Babies

Baby opossums are tooooooo cute!



Yep... we have baby opossums. At least 2 of them.



I suspect there may be more.

We've seen opossums in the yard before. Last week, S noticed that an opossum had gone into our garage. He tried to block the entrance hole into the garage but we realized that we had just trapped the animal inside the garage and opened the hole back up.

Well now we know, she was a mama opossum and must have a nest in the garage somewhere. I've been reading a bit this morning and my guess is that these guys are actually a number of months old now since they aren't riding on mom's back anymore.

While I think they are just too cute for words, I don't think we want them to live in the garage. In the yard, yes; in the garage, not so much. I think we'll have to wait for them to leave at night and see if we can get them to move to another location.

I just wonder how many we actually have?!

On the knitting front, I finished up a repeat of the forest canopy shawl last night. Love the pattern. Don't think the worsted weight is going to work though... I can't say I'm suprised.



You can definitely see the shapes within the knitting (they look like leaves to me) but with this gauge I just can't get any separation (no holes). I've tried stretching quite a bit to no avail. I suppose I could try going up a few needle sizes. Alternatively I think I should just look for a DK weight yarn, as called for by the pattern. So for now, frogged. I'll have to think more about a pattern for this yarn.

I am looking forward to knitting up this shawl now... it's going to be a keeper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, their relatives are in my backyard! We have one right now that appears to be a teenager. I saw a couple of baby ones a few months ago (probably the teenager now), I have a feeling mom kicks them out at a pretty tender age, because they were alone, dining on the food I leave for our outdoor stray kitty. They are cute, but you sure don't want them in your garage. They are nasty things. They aren't so cute once they grow up.

Your shawl is very pretty. I started a lace shawl from that book Victorian Lace Today, I am determined I'm going to learn lace. It's really not so bad if you really pay attention to what you're doing.

Erin said...

Awww...

You should look at the Victorian Lace Today book. There are several projects in there that look great knit at several different weights of yarn. I'll try to remember to bring it next week if I can make it (old PhD advisor might be in town for dinner).