Sunday, August 12, 2007

Becoming... a movie goer

Something strange and amazing has happened this weekend... I've now gone to see two movies! Now maybe this isn't so unusual for others, but I've fallen into a habit of not seeing many films at all. In fact, I think I've seen only two others at the theater this year (and one of those was Harry Potter just a few weeks ago).

In some ways the not seeing films is what is most suprising about me. When I was in grad school, I think I saw, on average, 2-3 movies a week. There was almost no movie I didn't see. Something changed over time though.

I do love the movies when I go. I'm one of those people who can just disappear into a film and think of nothing else. I can generally even tune out the chatty cathys who sit near me I'm so engaged. Books are similar for me, but I love the visuals of a good movie.

That (the visuals) made the movie I saw yesterday fantastic, Becoming Jane.



Check out the trailer and some of the pics online.

It's a fictionalized period piece based on Jane Austen and a romantic relationship she may have had. The scenery is beautiful and the story line predictable (but then we all know Jane Austen didn't marry don't we?) but quite charming. I even thought the music was a great addition to the film.



I like Anne Hathaway and thought she did a nice job here with the English accent. The rest of the cast was great too. James McAvoy (who I see has done quite a bit of acting but I knew as Mr. Tumnus from the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe), Julie Walters (Ms. Weasley from HP), Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall from HP), and James Cromwell all do great jobs.

Again, if you're looking for something fun to do... I'd recommend this one.

On the other becoming front, Josh's cable sweater has stopped becoming and now exists in full. I present Josh's wee cable sweater.



Yankee Knitter Designs' Easy Bulky Sweater (Patterns #30)
3 balls of Steinbach Wolle Sport (20% wool, 80% acrylic), a bulky weight yarn
(both pattern and yarn purchased during trip to Maine, in Portland)
a gray tweed color (36816, 093)
Child's XS
US size 8 and 10 circulars
cast on July 23, 2007
finished August 11, 2007

This was a straightforward, clear pattern with little complication. The XS is still going to be toooo big for Josh, but I suppose he will eventually grow into it. Better too large than too small in my opinion.

I'd consider knitting one of these for myself or for S. The pattern gives instructions for both children's and adult sizes. Of course, the sweater is very boxy... no shaping ... which could have pros and cons!

No comments: