Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ah cables


Many, many (no really, I do mean many) months ago I started a cabled aran afghan. Inspired by a Knitty Gritty episode, I wanted to learn to do cables. Why not just jump into a hugh project to do so [snort]?! I never was very practical with such things.

When I think about it, it in fact may have been the first project I started that wasn't a scarf. A walk down memory lane suggests that I started the first square in September, 2006. Two years ago!

The great thing about a big project is that you know it will take a long time. For me that's definitely been these case. Now I just describe this as one of those projects that is leisurely ... non time demanding ... used as a filler.

Don't believe me?! [laugh]

Truely, this is one of the few projects I've worked on that doesn't feel pressured to me. I don't feel like I "have to finish." With sweaters and socks I just want "to be done." With this, it's a multiple year project ... and that's OK.

It's funny, when I first started this project I was definitely a newbie. In fact it was only after I finished either 2 or 3 squares that I realized that, without meaning to, I was knitting through the back loop every time. Yep, having re-taught myself from books, I didn't realize that there was a difference between knitting into the front or the back of the loop. The back of the loop just seemed like the right way. Somewhere along the knitting trip, I had this realization.

The afghan is 16 squares all 12" by 12". It may be interesting when I'm done. Knitting through the back loop everytime pulled my work in a bit. I'll have to see if I can block those early puppies out a bit. Otherwise, I may have to work another panel wrong so I can at least have one row all the same size [grin]!

Five squares done ... 11 to go. Maybe I'll be done by the end of the decade.
=]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful squares!

Linda said...

I don't think that it will take you long to finish that, it will be so lovely for winter.

Hilary said...

I have a friend who knit through the back loops without realizing it for a long time, too. It does create a cool fabric!

Isn't it nice to have those projects you don't feel all freaked out about finishing? I bet your afghan will be gorgeous -- and you'll have a couple years' worth of memories associated with it.