Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Fantine


Well after feeling like I was barely ever finishing a project, I have another finished sweater. Guess there's something to say for knitting big chunks of a project and then putting it aside for awhile. It takes much less time to finish "a sweater" when it's already half done!


Here she is ... Fantine. I really was drawn to this pattern when I found it on ravelry some time ago and had to explore around a bit to find the pattern. I started the project in June and then just put it aside for a while. I think other things came up (including that big men's sweater deadline). This weekend with S's sweater done, I pulled Fantine out of the pile and was off the needles in no time! That chunky yarn ... man does it knit up fast!


I love the cabling details around the edges of this sweater. They help to liven up what could otherwise be a very simple sweater ... and quite similar to the anthropology inspired capelet I've knit before.

I decided this weekend that rather than knitting the 3/4 length sleeve, I'd go for full length. My office is COLD in the summer, and I stay COLD in the winter, so I can wear sweaters almost year round. Extending the sleeves was easy and it let me put the cabling detail at the edges of the sleeves as well.

A simple pattern for a quick cover up. I've been wearing it in the office today and give it an A.
And my photography ... well that gets a grade of "credit" on the credit/no credit scale ... my first attempt with the self timer since my resident photographer now lives half way across the country!

(oh yeah... I cut my hair short too ... it was time for a change).

Fantine by Kristeen Griffin-Grimes of French Girl Knits
(scoop neck option, and generally followed the 3/4 length sleeve directions with modifications)
5 balls Lion Brand Jiffy Solid (held double when knitting to get gauge)
Silver Heather
US 8 circulars and dpns
Cast on June 4, 2008
Finished August 31, 2008

Modifications: Knit sleeves to wrists and put one repeat of cable pattern in before binding off.

Details on Ravelry here.

Now the most amazing this.... I only have one unfinished object left! I started on the sleeves of the cable luxe tunic last night and am going to work to get that one finished. Then there are many choices for the next project ... strangely I'm very drawn to more sweaters!

9 comments:

Stacey said...

That is a really cute sweater! I like the cabling detail as well...must add to neverending queue...

a friend to knit with said...

i immediately thought......your hair! it's SO cute!!!
really, liz. you look fantastic!!
and fantine looks great too!!!

Hilary said...

It's so cute! I love the cropped-ness and cabling detail. Your hair looks fab, too!

Anonymous said...

Cute cropped top and cute cropped hair!!!

Linda said...

Nice to see you and the sweater is fab!

amanda said...

Your hair looks fab and so does the sweater to boot!

Robin said...

Fantine and your hair both look fabulous!!

Carrie said...

Oh, man, I hope that my Fantine ends up as cute as yours does!

Macoco said...

Wow both Fantine and your hair look fabulous.