Last January I set some goals for myself and didn't do too badly on the list. Let's review shall we.
1. More quality knitting.
Check ... I came up with several projects I really enjoyed and a number of finished objects I'm quite happy with. Not everything was a winner of course, but on the whole, a successful year. I did knit one pair of socks... I love having the finished pair but still think that socks take an awfully long time to finish.
2. Higher quality blogging.
Hmm... well I think I get a mixed report card on this. My posts have become more infrequent so there is less "trash" post, but the visuals haven't improved tremendously. I still struggle with sharing alot of quality information. Something that can still be worked on I think.
Oops... failed this goal. No spinning at all this year.
4. Live within a budget and save money.
Well this always seems to be an area for improvement doesn't it?
5. Live healthier (eating healthier foods, exercising).
I finished 2008 having walked or run 616.4 miles, exceeding my goal of 540 miles solidly. I also began running. Now this my friends was a crazy thing; I have never run. Not even when I was a kid. I used Robert Ullrey's Couch to 5K podcasts and, OMG, now I can run. I got up to 5K and then dropped down to what I think is most reasonable for my knees... about 2 miles per run.
6. Learn Spanish.
Excellent progress here... I've now completed two semesters of college spanish and have learned quite a bit. Still couldn't carry a conversation in a bucket, but man oh man do I feel like I have accomplished something.
7. Increase my research productivity at work.
Well it didn't go down... does that count? This year was a crazy busy year with too many other work demands. Research didn't get the time it deserved. I'll try again on this goal.
8. Commit to being more present and positive with people at work.
I'm going better with this but will continue to work on this. We can't ever be good enough to the people around us.
9. Work on being more outgoing, less introverted, with others.
OK... I'm still just as shy and introverted as ever. Honestly, I'm not sure how important this goal is for me. The costs still seem to outweigh the benefits.
10. Appreciating what I have, being mindful, managing my work-related stress, enjoying nature.
This I did well with. Of course there were crazy moment, stressful moments, but on the whole I managed to keep my sanity. Morning walks go along way with this as does being surrounded with such a great group of handsome boys.
2009 should be a pretty busy year. Always more to do than time to do it in, right? To get off to a good start, S and I have come up with a few new resolutions. Here's my new list.
1. Appreciating what I have, being mindful, managing my work-related stress. I've decided to move this one up the list. It's what gives me quality of life -- got to give it priority.
2. More quality knitting.
3. Live within a budget and save money.
4. Live healthier (eating healthier foods, exercising).
- 630 miles by 2010
- run 2 miles, 3 times per week
- watch my diet, eat at home more often, cook healthier foods
6. S and I have committed to taking a nature trip and going to the movies at least once per month. With mountains, desert, and beach all within a short drive, we need to take advantage of the bounty around us.
Seems like a pretty reasonable list, right? I'm looking forward to the year. Hope your's is off to a good start and you're optimistic too.