Yes, just in time for the close of the first segment of Project Spectrum (the Fires), my Doctor's Bag is seamed off, lined up, and done today!
It is a nice deep and wide bag... definitely too big for an everyday bag but perfect to hold some large future project.
I think the leather button and wooden handles turned out just right for the proportions of the bag.
And I still love, just love, the lining fabric. The color! It is the perfect compliment for today... the first day of spring!
OK... maybe it's really more of a summer fabric rather than a spring fabric, but I'm so already ready for summer.
I think that photo above gives you a sense of the size. The angles in some of the other photos make it seem a bit diminutive in my eyes.
All together a very satisfying knit. It fits perfectly (laugh!), and the knitting was a great project for my new skill of knitting continental. There is lots of moving the yarn front to back or back to frong to knit or purl or to slip so using continental was definitely a time saver. I think this project is my first officially worked entirely in continental.
The picking up stitches and doing the three needle bind off at the end was what seemed to take the most time, but that was probably just in my head rather than reality. And the lining... well let's just say that I'm not going to win any seamstress prizes anytime soon, but I'm pleased that I got it all put together without completely butchering anything.
Looking for a big, nonfelted bag ... this one might be right for you too!
Doctor's Bag from Knit 2 Together
5 balls of Paton's Classic Wool Merino (100% wool)
Color: Bright Red (00230) Lot 179620
US size 11 (8 mm) circulars and straights (3 needles needed to bind off for seams)
5.25" x 5" wood handles from JoAnn's (Purse n-alize-it! Handbag Handles)
Leather button (1 1/8 ", 22mm) from JoAnn's
Lining fabric "Kleo" in black (and red and yellow), the Alexander Henry Fabric Collection, from JoAnn's (fabric was about 44" wide off the bold and I used about the amount called for in the pattern, 1 1/2 yards)
One wooden dowel and one sheet of acrylic from the local OSH hardware store
Final size: 21" long x 9" wide x 9" tall
cast on Febrary 9, 2008
finished March 20, 2008
On Ravelry here
Modifications: none ... it was great just the way it was.
Edited to add: By the way, I finished week 5 of my couch to 5k plan today. Yes, I ran 20 minutes in a row... and I didn't die! Yeah me!